Disclaimer: This is not a sponsored post.
More than a month ago, our neighbour posted on Facebook a rare find she discovered at Gaisano Mall. It was a phone sold by Smart Communications for only P888. I had to rub my eyes because I had to be reading it incorrectly. But it was really priced at only P888. Sure it was not the most fab phone out there, but for P888, it was a notable find.
I checked Smart’s website and the phone was already sold out. However, I wrote my name in the waitlist — that was before I lost my phone, though, so the number I listed there was no longer contactable so I just checked the website every now and then. I wasn’t able to inquire about it in a physical store until weeks later when I applied for a phone plan under Smart and the CS rep confirmed that the units are all sold out.
But one Sunday, I checked the website on a whim and the P888 phones were available again! I immediately placed an order for two phones and waited. Despite the reviews saying that the phones took too long to arrive, my order arrived only after four days (which is normal for Davao City).
Impressions and Tips
- It’s a pretty basic phone with a mediocre-looking plastic exterior and a moderate performance.
- This is great for those transitioning from a feature phone to a smartphone.
- Because it is cheap, it is a good option for kids (#sorrynotsorry). In fact, it is what Yuri uses. Don’t worry; I still regulate his usage.
- It is a good secondary phone.
- If you have helpers who don’t have phones, this is even cheaper than most feature phones nowadays so I suggest you get these for them (that is if you catch it).
- Camera is super bad even in good lighting. It boasts of a 5-mp back camera but the photos are nowhere near the photos that my old Zenfone 4 (also 5-mp) produces. Don’t get this if you plan on using it as your primary camera phone.
- If you got this phone, buy a rubber case and, more importantly, a tempered glass protector ASAP. My son used this for a couple of weeks before I was able to buy a tempered glass screen protector and the scratches are awful. It doesn’t affect the phone’s performance in any way but it is surely an eyesore.
- If you order this phone from the website (I’m not sure if the case is the same as the phones from Smart physical stores), do not be surprised if the sim packs inside the box are already emptied. The sim cards are already inside the phone.
- Removing the green sticker right on top of the Smart sim voids the phone’s warranty.
Sure, it is far from being the best phone out there, but aside from the handset itself, the package also comes with 100 megabytes of internet per month for a year. If you ask me, it’s not a bad deal, not at all!
PS: I just checked the website and it’s available again! Head on to this link to order.