I’m very new to homeschooling.
Prior to this year, we’ve never done formal homeschooling. But now that he’s 4, we decided to formalise it (on a certain level) by following a regular homeschool routine and teaching specific subjects and lessons. (Note: We’re homeschooling independently.)
And even though we are so new to this, I’ve already gotten several questions asking me how we do it. First of all, I try not to pressure myself and Yuri. If I’m feeling tired from work or household chores, I call it a day and we just play instead. If I sense that Yuri’s not in the mood for pencil work, I let him paint or draw or whatever he likes.
I don’t shy away from technology either. We use 2, no 3 free websites to supplement our lessons (I’ll write about them too for everyone who’s interested).
Now, here’s our specific routine from sun up to sun down:
1. I wake up at 5 am and do devotional and work out (naks). I think this is necessary to include because praying and exercising prepares me for the ahead spiritually, physically, emotionally, and mentally!
2. Since I work for an Australian company (their time is 2 hours ahead of us), my work day often begins in between 5:30 to 6 am.
3. Yuri wakes up at around 7:30 am. We have breakfast at 8.
4. I go back to work at 8:30. Now, here’s a common question I’ve been asked. What does Yuri do the entire time that I’m working? Here are some pictures showing his daytime activities.
And full out mummy confession: I also let him watch TV or YouTube videos too. Sue me. 😛
(Mad props to mums who don’t let their kids watch TV or use gadgets but I just can’t do it! My job entails using technology all the time so I have no choice – my son is exposed to it whether I like it or not.)
(But on Tuesday mornings…)
- Our routine remains the same from Mondays to Saturdays except Tuesdays. On Tuesdays, Yuri goes to Eye Level to take English classes. We’re out of the house by 9:30 am and are back by lunchtime.
5. I work until around 3 or 3:30 pm, depending on how early I started or how long my lunch break was lol.
6. When I’m done with work, I take a 30 minute break to rest and prepare our homeschool area. (Which is basically just our home office still, but I put away my laptop and take out his books or whatever it is that we need to use.)
7. We begin our homeschool session at around 4 pm. Most of our sessions last for an hour, sometimes more.
8. Then we prepare for dinner.
9. Our “Christian Living” subject is taught at bedtime in our bedroom. We either read Yuri’s Bible Stories or this book, First Virtues for Toddlers. This is Yuri’s current favourite book. He just loves the cute animal characters!
10. Then we sleep! Actually, Yuri sleeps while I do my skin care ka-echosan, update my planner, and catch up on the latest episode of Doctors or W. Who else watches K-dramas here? Haha!
And that is how we homeschool preschool. What is your routine?